Paterson Composites Inc. is an innovative carbon fiber composites manufacturer located in Toronto, Canada. With a successful background in building high performance racing yachts, Paterson Composites has compiled a team of specialists in engineering, design, fabrication, and project management. With a quality management system accredited by ISO 9001:2008, AS9100 C standards and the Canadian Controlled Goods program, Paterson Composites’ exceptional quality standards and innovative design process will handle all aspects of your project in house.
Paterson Composites aspires to:
- Become a global player in carbon fiber composites manufacturing for the aerospace, defense and marine industries
- Partner with clients to produce the highest quality product, on schedule and on budget
- Develop innovative products and push the boundaries of composite fabrication
Main Floor: 3313 ft² | Clean Room: 1200 ft² |Dirty Room: 230 ft² | Oven: 191 ft²
From Elite Sailors to Innovative Composite Manufacturers.
President & CEO
Rob is the founder and CEO of Paterson Composites Inc. Born from a passion for high performance sailing, he has lead Paterson Composites to the forefront of design and construction of some of the most advanced sailboats in the world. In 2010 Rob helped Team BMW Oracle win the America’s Cup, sailing’s oldest international sporting trophy.
An experienced and adaptive businessman, he has built a team of specialists in design, engineering, robotics, composites and project management with a common passion for quality and performance products. Rob’s extensive network of industry partners and ability to precisely execute projects has led to Paterson Composites significant growth over the past two years. Rob has improved the quality and consistency of customer satisfaction and is committed to creating innovative industry leading products.
Chief Engineering Officer
Gordon is a two-time Canadian Olympic sailor, competing in 2008 and 2012 Summer Games, with a degree in Engineering Physics from Queen’s University. While at Queen’s, Gordon discovered his passion for innovation and design and found his niche in carbon fibre. Combined with his competitive sailing experience, he founded Mobius Composites, a Toronto based manufacturer of finished marine products and custom designed carbon fibre tubing. Mobius recently merged its operations with Paterson Composites to allow for collaboration on innovative products and composites manufacturing techniques.
From CAD to Completion.
We can do it all while keeping costs down with in-house expertise and machines.
- Prepreg fabric lamination
- VARTM (Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Moulding)
- Wet lamination
- Segregated area for all dirty work applications
- Full dust extraction system
- Negative pressurized room
- Trimming, fairing & paint preparation, assembly
- 3-Axis CNC Machine
- Torchmate Router
- Bed Size: 4’ x 8’ | Z Travel: 11”
CAM & Programming
- MADCam for Rhino
- Mandrel ID Size: Ø 0.25’’ to Ø 10.00’’
- Mandrel Length: Up to 10’
- Mandrel Shapes: Circular, Ovoid, Square, Rectangular, Hexagonal, Polygonal
- Materials: Carbon, Glass, Aramid
- Maximum cure temperature: 300°F
- Thermocouples: 8
- Full temperature logging capabilities
- Multiple 5-Axis CNC
- Wire, Sink, & Drill EDM (NADCAP Certified)
- CNC Turning
Quality Management System
- Flowchart based Business Process Management System
- Multiple Terminals for easy access for BPMS reference (Floor & Office)
Paterson Composites has in-house capabilities to handle just about any custom project. We specialize in fabricating components from high strength advanced composites materials. From concept to completion, Paterson Composites can realize anything from high performance yachts to custom product design.
- Built in 2011
- Debut of North TPT in a wing sail
- First rigid wing to compete in a World Championship
- Total sail area: 8 m2
- Total weight: 24lbs
- Built in 2014
- Broke world human powered land speed record in 2016 (89.59 mph/144.17 kph)
- Fairings and frame built at Paterson Composites
- Materials – Carbon fiber epoxy prepreg and Nomex honeycomb core
- Range of sizes and lengths
- Manufactured for 15 different sailboat classes
- Materials – Carbon and Aramid
- Superior product engineered for increased durability
Materials: Carbon Fiber, Epoxy, Prepreg
Process: Two stage lamination with machining in between each stage
- Materials: North TPT Prepreg Carbon Uni and Nomex Honeycomb Core
- Total length: 37’
- Number of ribs: 18
- Final weight: 45 lbs
- Large diameter and long length carbon tubing utilized as a spool for plastics manufacturing
- Quality requirements: High RPM requires tight ID and wall thickness tolerances
+1 416 575 6359